Hospital Hill was a popular name for the eastern part of the March 1888 surveyed part of the township Johannesburg.It included the land on the hill where the first general hospital was built (the land granted by the government), Joubert Park and northerly surrounds, Kruger Park (which became the Wanderer’s Sport Club) and parts of the old railway station.Today it sits anonymously between Braamfontein and Hillbrow except for the fact that it houses a high percentage of medical and government related buildings that form a wide strip from the bottom of Smit Street right up to the old Fort to the north and over the hill down to the edge of Parktown.Hospital Hill would be roughly in the middle of the hill i the distance flanked by Braamfontein and Hillbrow " data-medium-file="https://johannesburg1912.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/jhb-view-hospital-hill-hillbrow-1888.jpg?The old hospital building from 1890 was demolished in 1937 to make way for the current Ronald Mackenzie Block which was completed in 1939 and designed by Gordon Leith.Today, the old hospital complex still survives but was superseded in the 1970s by the Johannesburg General Hospital (now known as the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital) which went up on Parktown ridge.Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital was a branch hospital originally administered by the Johannesburg Hospital from 1913 onwards.The first Queen Vic was established and built in 1904 by the Guild of Loyal Woman and designed by Allen Wilson.
In 1915, medical staff quarters, dispensary and central kitchen with provision for a kosher kitchen opened.It was replaced by the current building built in 1943 (designed by Gordon Leith) which still stands at the bottom of Joubert Street extension and corner Sam Hancock Street at the bottom right of the Fort complex.There is a strong similarity between Leith’s work on the main block at Johannesburg Hospital and the design of the Maternity Hospital.It was in Doornfontein in Siemert Road next to the Lions Shul and could accommodate 50 patients.
It transferred to the Milner Park (what the area was known as back then) in 1906.
w=349&h=198" data-large-file="https://johannesburg1912.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/jhb-view-hospital-hill-hillbrow-1888.jpg? w=590" class=" wp-image-175386266" src="https://johannesburg1912.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/jhb-view-hospital-hill-hillbrow-1888.jpg? w=349&h=198" alt="JHB view Hospital Hill & Hillbrow 1888" width="349" height="198" srcset="https://johannesburg1912.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/jhb-view-hospital-hill-hillbrow-1888.jpg?